so! it is 2014 now and i think i am gonna say goodbye to this little blog. i feel bogged down by this space, like writing here, i feel like i’m sucked into this narrative i’ve built of my struggle with depression + anxiety and how that correlates to the shitty relationship i had with ju
and right now i just want to think about how lucky i am to know so many amazingly talented women & queer people
and i want to get more serious about writing
and i want to write more unabashedly fangirlish posts about the things i’m listening to or reading
so i am moving my blog over to venusbone DOT tumblr DOT com. <3 feel free to follow me over there.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Gwen’s! This is gonna be the dorkiest cat mom response but um, I am really proud of how much she’s come out of her shell since I found her in fall 2012 and what a sweet, loving and goofy kitty she’s turned out to be.
22. What was your favorite TV show?
Oh god, I have watched so much TV this year (probably more than I ever have, tbh). Right now I am on a serious late 90s nostalgia buzz (probably a result of my post breakup instability haze) and I’ve been (re)watching a lot of Daria and Sailor Moon.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Ahh, this is hard! I can’t really narrow it down to one “issue”, per se. The atmosphere here in Paris is very heavy given all that’s happened—-increased police violence in black and arab neighborhoods, attacks on Muslim women, the manifs pour tous, attacks on gay couples, the murder of Clément Méric by fascists, etc etc—-and I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about how these things connect.
11. Best thing I bought:
This black tourmaline necklace I bought on Mael’s recommendation. I do think it helped me stay grounded through what could have been a pretty self destructive period.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
A lot of things! I was the most excited when Audra visited in April/May and when Debbie visited in November. Also, when you gchatted me about Beyoncé’s album on the 13th and I was like, “what?” cuz I had been working all day. That was also exciting!
24. What was the best book you read?
I re-read The Color Purple this summer (last time I read it, I was in high school). I had a bad reading year (depression fucked up my ability to concentrate), but Walker’s way of writing human relationships is so intricate and beautiful that I got totally immersed in it and actually finished it. I found myself craving the book at times which, honestly, hasn’t happened to me much this year.
I have been thinking a lot about the very last page in my copy of The Color Purple, where Alice Walker writes: “I thank everybody in this book for coming./A.W., author and medium”
26. What did you want and get?
Hmmm, well, I wanted to find some things to actually like about myself & I did! I guess that’s progress.
Looking back on 2013
- 1: What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
- 2: Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
- 3: Did anyone close to you give birth?
- 4: Did anyone close to you die?
- 5: What countries did you visit?
- 6: What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013
- 7: What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- 8: What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- 9: What was your biggest failure?
- 10: Did you suffer illness or injury?
- 11: What was the best thing you bought?
- 12: Whose behaviour merited celebration?
- 13: Whose behaviour made you appalled?
- 14: Where did most of your money go?
- 15: What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- 16: What song will always remind you of 2013?
- 17: Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
- 18: What do you wish you’d done more of?
- 19: What do you wish you’d done less of?
- 20: How did you spend Christmas?
- 21: Did you fall in love in 2013?
- 22: What was your favourite TV program?
- 23: Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
- 24: What was the best book you read?
- 25: What was your greatest musical discovery?
- 26: What did you want and get?
- 27: What did you want and not get?
- 28: What was your favourite film of this year?
- 29: What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- 30: How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
- 31: What kept you sane?
- 32: Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- 33: What political issue stirred you the most?
- 34: Who did you miss?
- 35: Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
- 36: Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
hammamélis/witch hazel: like the way those words feel in my mouth. yellow yellow witch hazel.